CONTINUOUS REINVENTION – A PRODUCT, A SERVICE, A MINDSET
Change cycles increasing rapidly, from 70 years, to 10 years to currently av. 3.5 years – see exponential technology, accelerated disruption and now new: natural disaster crisis like Covid which is causing ALL organisations to reinvent themselves, so without warning.
Need to shift from viewing Change / Reinvention as a project which has to be run periodically to a permanent mindset ongoing.
Most of the infrastructure organisations employ do not enable this permanent change mindset.
Some new approaches already try to address this:
- Beyond Budgeting / Vanguard
- Agile – Lean-flow Systems thinking
- Ulab / Bohm Dialogues
Most importantly reinvention is not something that happens behind closed doors (e.g. by executive board, innovation team, project team etc). To enable a reinvention mindset requires the engagement of ALL organisational members (employees) and stakeholders who care. (Note: Reinvention consultants don’t say this, we Caterfly say this, that is Caterfly’s angle on the whole Reinvention world)
What complexity teaches us is that it requires collective intelligence, which itself consists NOT of like-minded people, but huge diversity of perspectives. (note: reinvention could happen in adaptive space)
What is our Reinvention Product?
It’s basically a regenerative process we run through with the whole organisation. It’s also a set of tools and skills we teach key staff, so that the organisation can run the process themselves independently in the future – this is important because reinvention, like agility and adaptability, is an ongoing continuous process. So this includes developing internal Open Space facilitators and facilitative leadership.
The inquiry process has two repeating parts:
- Half yearly pan-organisational Open Space event for all staff who care
- Nurturing the safe open mind landscape which enables innovation
- Creating the conditions enabling emergent learning (sense-making, generative conversations, appreciative diversity, ambiguity & uncertainty, systems thinking and reflective practices)
- Opening and closing the cocoon:
- In between Beta-lab Adaptive Space cocoon with a series of guided reinvention processes
- Managing fear (fear of change…..)
- Letting go of old (explore, celebrate, mourn, let go)
- Dismantling the organisation (disrupting)
- Intrinsic motivation – clarifying the why of organisation
- Opportunity Forecasting to capture value
- Exploring Customer Values (core values based solutions)
- Listing all processes: then adding, removing or altering
- Exploring 15 different ways to reinvent – which to focus on
- 3-step Process exploring reinvention cycle (as appropriate to industry and circumstances)
- STELLAR model (adaptive budget and planning process which is agile and adaptable)
- 5 Competences to develop (IQ, EQ, AQ, PQ, VQ)
- Human centred design thinking
- Business Model reinvention
The first Open Space to get whole process going, then 6-month cocoon running above processes (who, how, when?) followed 6 months later by Open Space which is a both a plenary retrospective of previous cocoon, establishing what the new reinvented aspect are (standardise) and launching into next cocoon.
Eventually after initial learning whole process should be habitual and self-organising.
Either for whole 6-month period, or for each individual item on a consultancy or workshop per diem basis. This will all depend on type of organisation, size, scale and starting point.
Our aim and measure of success is to enable an organisation to reinvent itself completely and rapidly, and to become reinvention future ready, i.e. permanently adaptable.
Note: Alternative words for ‘Reinvention’: Innovation, Adaptability, Re-imagination, Re-design, Re-wiring, Rejuvenation, Regeneration, Autopoiesis, Rethink, Agility, (Change, Transformation, Shift) …… ?